Friday, June 6, 2008

Square TA05 - Initial Impressions

I haven't spent too much time behind the wheel of this conversion yet, but it already (with very little tuning) feels as good as, if not better than, my main TA05 drifter. Here are some of my first impressions:
  • The chassis has plenty of steering without feeling like it's oversteering (I'm not really sure if that makes sense). It doesn't need a lot of steering input to initiate drifts, and once you set your angle it's happy to stay pointing where you want it.
  • I've tested it with two different batteries (a lightweight 2000mAh and a heavier 3600mAh), and it felt much better with the 3600. With the 2000, it felt as if there wasn't enough weight in the rear to keep it sideways, and the car wanted to straighten out on long sweepers. With the 3600, the car was still plenty responsive, and long drifts were much easier to maintain. The chassis does have two sets of mounting holes for the battery; the standard location (which I'm using now), and one that moves the battery 10mm closer the rear diff (which I still haven't tested). The rear location should better suit lightweight batteries.
Here are a couple of things I don't like:
  • The motor is completely unprotected and sticks out about 12mm from the chassis. This isn't a big deal for me (I still run cheap brushed motors ^_^) but might cause some concern for those who run brushless motors.
  • I don't generally have a problem with Phillips head screws, but I really don't like using them on the motor mounts. I'll be replacing them in the very near future with some quality hex screws.
A few closeups of the completed chassis:

No comments: