Sunday, May 10, 2009

TA05 Countersteer Setup

Last year my friend Sunny introduced me to countersteer drifting, but it wasn't until recently that I decided to give it a real try. With a countersteer setup the chassis' rear wheels spin faster than the front wheels, which transforms its handling characteristics to those of a rear-wheel-drive car. This allows for more countersteer to be applied while drifting. To achieve this effect, a smaller diff pulley and larger center pulley is installed for the rear belt, and vice versa for the front belt. So far I've only changed the pulleys for the rear belt:
Tamiya 18T pulley (#53989):
XRAY belt tensioner (#303071):
Tamiya 32T pulley (#50877):

9 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, nice...
lemme see some vid with this setup

hero said...

Thanks. I should have a video up by the end of the week.

Sunny said...

Hi hero,
Try more Counter Drifting!

hero said...

Hi Sunny,
I will! I plan to order some pulleys for the front belt in a couple of weeks.

DriftFactor said...

Hmm, I guess this is not possible for Yokomo MR-4TC SD SSG? Shaft driven..

hero said...

It is possible, but it's more difficult on a shaft driven chassis. Someone did a tutorial that you can view here (you need to register on the forum to view it):

http://www.groovydrift.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11742

DriftFactor said...

Ok thanks bro. Will check it out. :)

Reece said...

Hey mate, cool blog.

just letting you know your tensioner is setup wrong.. the tensioner should be against the flat side of the belt to avoid chipping teeth off.

like this: http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/products/proddesc.php?prod_id=2796&Xnet_Session=e9070bbda366cde629e4ceffaa1a65d6

good luck!

hero said...

Hey Reece,
I originally wanted to install the tensioner on the lower deck of the chassis (and have the non-tooth side of the belt against the tensioner), but the belt would have been extremely close to the pinion gear. I ended up installing it the way I did, because I had plenty of replacement belts and only ran a 23t motor at the time. The tension on the belt was also very low to prevent any extra wear.