Monday, September 28, 2009

Active Countersteer Kit *Ver. 2* for TA05

This weekend I received the new Active Hobby TA05 countersteer kit:
Active did a great job machining the pulley. It slides easily onto the spur gear holder, and there isn't a hint of play once it's in place:
I opted not to use the belt included with the kit and used a spare TA05 IFS-R belt (#54045) instead, which fits perfectly without any modifications like I had hoped. This is great news because IFS-R belts are readily available on eBay and Tamiya USA's e-store:
My driving impressions should be posted within the next couple of days. Unfortunately, because of bad weather and a busy weekend, I haven't been able to spend more than ten minutes trying it out.

7 comments:

akaB said...

How does it drive?
I bought the Ver. 1.5, but haven't had the occasion even to mount it yet.

hero said...

It's very aggressive. A lot more countersteer can be applied than with my old setup. I'm still getting used to it, but so far I'm really happy with it.

Have you driven a car with a countersteer setup before?

akaB said...

Not yet, thats why I'm asking, in fact.
I chosen the 1.5 because I saw it gave a ratio of 1,5 and the v2 gives 1,76.
So I thought it'll be better to start with the "weaker" one as I'm a noob at CS setup + I bought the TA05 especially to switch to CS (before I used a classic MR4TC-SD with few hop-up).

I heard the "ideal" CS ratio is about 1,8.

By the way what type of tires are you using? Looks like some T-drifts.

hero said...

Getting used to a countersteer setup definitely takes some time. The less throttle you give the car, the more countersteer you need to apply; the more throttle you give it, the more it wants to go in the direction the wheels are pointing. Just be patient and have fun with it. And don't feel bad if you have a hard time driving in a straight line at first. ^_^

Yes, you are correct; those are T-Drifts.

akaB said...

Thanks for the advices, I thought the more gas you put the more countersteer you have to apply (like in 1/1), but its true that our cars are 4wd!!

Unknown said...

can i use this setup on t05 square conversion kit? or the square cs kit?

thanks

hero said...

You can use the Square CS kit with the Square TA05 conversion if you use the 22t center pulley and 30t rear pulley.